Image Map

April 12, 2007

Do I have a 16 Year Old?

A conversation in the car on the way home from school with Kaylee.
Kaylee, "Mom do you want to hear all about my day?
Me, "Kaylee, I would love to hear about your day!"
Kaylee
, "Well a lot happened. I first had to break things off with (insert boy name here)."
Me
, "You had a boyfriend? And what exactly does "break things off mean"?
Kaylee
, "You know Mom, he was my boyfriend." (said with a little frustration in her voice)
Me
, "How long have you had this boyfriend?"
Kaylee
, "Well I guess since the first day of school this week. He would not take no to going together for an answer on that day so I finally got through to him that I just wanted to be his FRIEND today."
Me
, " You need to tell boys that you can only have boys as friends until you are in High School. Do you understand?"
Kaylee
, "Yes, Mom." (with a lot of giggling from the backseat)
After the shock wore off that I was having this conversation with my five year old, I talked to her father. Evidently when he took her to school this morning they had a similiar conversation where she told him about the boyfriend and he told her to just be friends with boys right now. At least I know that she listens to her father for now. I just need to pray that she will always talk to us about things going on at school and actually take our advice till at least Junior High.

6 comments:

Traci said...

How funny! I can totally picture this conversation as I was reading it!! I miss that Kaylee.

We had a similar situation with Kylie this week. Only she's not as hip on the lingo!!

Jacinda said...

HA! Gracie has a very special "friend who is a boy." I tell her she's too young for a "boyfriend" but it's okay to have good special friends who are boys. I hope she'll keep buying the "too young" part for a looooong time!

AbbieCRAZY said...

Yeah, I think I had heard about this. I asked Abbie and she was reluctant to tell me about Kaylee's "boyfriend." She did tell me, without prompting, that Kaylee didn't want to be his girlfriend but he wanted to her boyfriend.

Boys can be pushy like that.

Alyssa said...

Yikes! I can't believe all the phrases she knows... hilarious! I wish that I could have been there to hear Cary talk with her. So sweet...

Holly said...

Too cute! Kaylee is adorable with her conversations. Thanks for sharing and making me smile today!

Amy said...

Erica, that is too funny. Kaylee's stories have been entertaining me for a long time now. God put alot of personality into that little body. Glad you are having fun with it.