Image Map

October 5, 2010

Safety City


Today was the day that all third graders in the Abilene area look forward to for all of their elementary years...Safety City Day! Our town has an amazing program where the children get to practice pedestrian rules, along with rules of the road and even fire safety. I still remember taking this field trip with the class I was student teaching in several years ago and how excited they were to be there. Well let's just say that Mrs. Jones class was just as excited as I remember if not more. When the buses arrived at Safety City you could feel the excitement in the air as each child exited the bus. There is a little town set up with buildings, highways and road signs of all kinds. I was placed at one of the cross roads and told to make sure the children stopped and looked both ways before proceeding across the road. I only got my foot run over once which I thought was pretty good.

After completing the City part it was time for the Firehouse. Let me just say it was pretty cool how all of the technology was used for the firehouse. We first went into a room that looked like your typical bedroom. Once the fireman gave his talk the room started to fill with smoke and you could see flames in one of the windows. The children had to practice crawling to the door, feeling the door knob and then proceeding out the window that did not have flames coming out of it. What a great teaching tool! There were several other fun activities but that will be the one that sticks out in my mind.
It was so fun to be able to spend the day with Kaylee and get to know several of the other children in her class. Yeah Safety City!!

No comments: