Can you have a Love/Hate relationship with a car? I say yes! I love that this is the car Cary and I went in to the Chili's in Abilene on our first ever date. I love that it required fairly minimal work for the years we needed it to run just a little longer. It was a loyal car for the most part until it wasn't. The air conditioner stopped working, the maintenance got to be too much, and it was replaced by a Grand Prix with a backseat for the kids after our first child was born. That child is now 14 years old, yet the old faded Datsun still remained in our driveway collecting dust and other things we won't mention. It has not been used in at least 8 years and many interested parties had crossed our path but to no avail. Finally on the Saturday of the Taylor Swift concert a young man campaigning for a candidate in the upcoming election came knocking. He had seen our jewel/eyesore in the driveway and asked my husband if he would be willing to part with it. After a brief conversation where the young man was very excited, he agreed to buy the car. I was still thinking it was too good to be true and we would never see him again. He would get back to his home in Dallas and that would be that. Well to my surprise and elation it was not the end of the story...he came back that Monday with a trailer and hauled old faithful off. Cary felt good about it because he knew the young man would love it like he did and actually have the time to fix it up to its former glory.
I am so thankful for this man and the fact that he is so loyal even to an old car.
There were no tears as the car left and Cary actually had a smile when he entered the house. I made a mental note to vote for the candidate who had brought this young man to our door. I truly never thought this day would come. I pray the new owner has as many wonderful memories as Cary does in his new ride.
No comments:
Post a Comment