Image Map

February 16, 2006

Random Happenings for the Week...

This has been a fairly normal week with the exception of Valentine's Day which we got to spend eating a delicious free dinner with our sweet friends from college and beyond David Todd and Lisa. The University Church here in town has a Valentine's dinner every year that is put together by Carl and Smitty Brecheen.(Dr. Brecheen is one of the best bible and marriage teachers in the world.) The decorations were very cute and the waitstaff was top notch...I mean how often do you have a chance to be waited on by Dr.Gary and Sylvia McCaleb. I do not think I met Dr.McCaleb the whole time I attended ACU, well maybe once so I was a little awe struck. There was a wonderful speaker and free childcare too. At the end of the evening I was even in the chair that got to take home the centerpiece which was a beautiful potted plant. I am going to try to keep it alive. What a great evening!

Kaylee has a great week at school of course who wouldn't when there is a party involved? I do not know who enjoyed her Valentine's box we decorated more her or me. I remember being so excited to open my box and check out all the goodies and what my friends had written to me. It was fun to watch her excitement. When I picked her up from school I had a Valentine's balloon for her which had Hershey's kisses in a sack at the bottom of the string. I told her it was from Daddy and I. She quickly inserted, "and Campbell". I said "oh yes and Campbell" Campbell pionted at the one she wanted me to get. (reached and pulled would be more accurate) Then Kaylee said,"Campbell you are so smart to pick the one with candy. You sure are a smart baby!" Does somebody love her sister or what? Next we were off to visit Cary at the office and take him some balloons and candy. All of the women there are so sweet and make the girls feel so special when we stop by. Kaylee enjoyed showing them her loot. She is at such a fun age right now and I am enjoying our talks so much and watching the world through her eyes.

Campbell is now up on hands and knees rocking back and forth. Cary said she crawled a little last night but I was in the other room. I was surprised to open the door to her room the other day and find her talking and sitting up in her bed looking around. It is a little startling when you are use to them just laying there. She is getting a little more hair but alas still no teeth. I am happy to report most of the time that she is still a "Momma's Girl" which is fine with me except when I am trying to attend Ladies Class and they come get me in the first 5 minutes. Oh, well. That's my girl:)

A few thing that never happened in Dallas:

1. We got ready for church Sunday night only to arrive and find out that they were delivering cookies to the nursing homes that night.(Obviously not the church we had gone to that morning or we would have known that.) So we went to Wal-Mart and Cracker Barrel instead.

2. I stopped to get gas at the HEB on Tuesday and as I pulled into the pump the attendant came over and tied bags around the 87 and 89 octane gas because they were out. I was about to leave instead of paying $2.29 a gallon for super unleaded when he knocked on my window and told me in a minute the price would change to the 87 octane price. I got a full tank of Super Unleaded gas for $2.09 a gallon. That was by far my deal for the week.

3. I went to Sam's for a few things and after checking out the cashier told me that "I looked young for my age". Am I that old? I think 32 is still pretty young. I am going to take it as a compliment since she looked to be about 21 years old. I suppose I would be old to her. I wanted to say, "Your day is coming sister." Maybe I will wear the outfit I have on today everyday. Good thing it is comfortable.

4. I had about 10 people 50 and over stop me in Sam's to tell me how cute Campbell looked in her "bib" overalls. Yes, I am in the country now. It was pretty cute though.

5. I had a 1/4 pound hamburger with all the toppings and a large drink for $1.88. It was delicious and homemade.

6. Last of all I left the house at 12:10pm and went to mail packages at the post office. I was at Sam's shopping by 12:40pm. Checked out and went home to unload the groceries at 1:45pm. Stopped for lunch at 2:05pm. Sat in the school parking lot and ate my lunch and still picked Kaylee up early at 2:20pm. I think I am finally getting use to having more time. What a blessing!

That is all for us this week. Hope you all have a wonderful and blessed weekend. Anyone coming in for Sing Song better either stop by or call to atleast say "Hi". Love to you all!

6 comments:

mcjacobsjournal said...

$1.88 for my very favorite meal???? I'm moving there! That really is great to hear all of the positives for getting to a small town. I'm sure there are many more blessings to come in that way for you.

It made me sad to hear you got to see the McCaleb's!! It's been so long since I've been able to visit with them, and they truly are some of the most important mentors in my life. (Gary married us...)

And, I wish we were getting to see you for Sing Song weekend! But, we're finally "off the hook" for a Sing Song...the first in 12 years without one of us or a sibling performing! so, we're taking a break. But, we do look forward to good visits to Abilene sometime soon!

leslie said...

I'm glad you had a good week! I missed seeing you this week. We'll get together soon!

Alyssa said...

Wow! You are doing a great job of finding the blessings from your move.. and your positive attitude is such a great example! I too am jealous of time with the Brackeens and McCalebs, cheap food, and more time! I am so happy for you guys :)

elizabeth said...

I grew up going to University CofC and remember lots of productions by Carl Brecheen! I also remember David Todd when he was a kid going there. Small world!

courtney said...

Ahhh, the joys of Abilene. Your list made me homesick!

Ashley said...

I finally got your blog address! I couldn't get to it under your profile. I am so glad to get to catch up. I love Abilene and those are great reasons to live there. Lubbock is similar and it makes all the difference in the world!