Image Map

March 12, 2010

Priceless!

Kaylee has been in full form the past week with two stories I just had to document for the future. I love that sweet girl!!

Story number one:
Last week they had the Book Fair at Kaylee's school. I do not know about the rest of you but the children at Kaylee's school are brainwashed for about a week before and during the book fair to come buy books. Notes are sent home daily, announcements are made, and the marque outside the school has it advertised. I am a former elementary school teacher so I understand that the school gets money out of the high priced books and we do want to support our school within reason. Well the big night to have families shop was Monday night. I had Bunko so Cary being the good Dad that he is took the girls to the Book Fair. They even had coke floats to entice the shoppers a little. Each of the girls got some books and life was great! Evidently Kaylee decided to take some of her own money to school so the next day she got in the car with a book for her and told me how she bought several of her classmates some bookmarks. I commented on how that was very sweet and we went on with the conversation to cover her day. Tuesday rolls around and Kaylee gets in the car with a hand pointer and a book for Campbell. Again I complimented on her generosity towards her sister. Wednesday Kaylee gets in the car with another hand pointer, this time it is for Campbell. Again compliment on thinking of her sister. That night Cary told Kaylee that he appreciated her giving to her sister but that she needed to leave her money at home on Thursday because she had bought enough. Well evidently Kaylee stocked up her wallet with her money once again and took it to school. Come to find out some of her classmates benefited from her generosity on Thursday because she gave one friend $20 and another friend $5. Luckily the friend she gave $20 has a Mom that I am friends with so she called to let me know what had occurred because Kaylee did not say a thing to me because she knew she was not suppose to take money to school that day. When I questioned her about the money she said that her friends wanted to go to the book fair but they did not bring any money and if you did not bring any money then you could not go. Therefore she gave them some. Then she realized that she had disobeyed her Dad and got upset. She was never upset that the money was gone. I explained that it is good to have a giving heart and I was very proud of her for that but she did not need to be handing money out at school. If she wanted to buy her friends a bookmark or pencil that was fine but $20 was way too much. There are people in this world who could really use the $20 and her friends all have parents who provided money for them to go to the book fair. Of course her Dad explained further when he got home. I think she understood, I am sure we will find out next year when the book fair rolls around. I remember doing things like this but I always used my parent's money;-) One of the funniest parts was when we went to her music program on Friday they plugged the book fair one more time. I just look at Cary and laughed, I think they got enough from our family this year. It is so hard to teach on giving, especially when you have a child who gives so freely. I want her to give freely, we just need to fine tune where it goes in the future. Why is her money never with her when she wants me to get her something at Target?

Story number two:
On Wednesday morning we were awoken by our girls. Kaylee had gotten up, made her bed, picked up her room, gotten dressed and awoken her sister. That girl was ready to take on the day! Too bad when Cary and I looked at the clock beside our bed it said 3:00am. Therefore we got to get the girls back in their beds and pray they went back to sleep so we would not have two grumpy bears the next day. Luckily for us they did return to sleep quickly and so did we. Needless to say the next day I bought Kaylee an alarm clock that glows so she can look at the time at all hours of the night;-)

Hopefully I will have a few Campbell Grace stories next week. Happy Spring Break to you all!!

No comments: