Image Map

November 18, 2013

Washington, DC Trip 2013

      Well about a year ago when we found out one of the yearly conferences that Cary attends would be in Washington, DC we decided to surprise the girls and take them with us. That meant instead of me going with Cary to the conference we would fly up later in the week after it was over to take in some of the sights. I am not one to take my daughters out of school but I felt this would be a trip they would always remember while getting a glimpse of our nation's history.
 Our first full day in DC we went to the Air and Space Museum first. Both Kaylee and Campbell were excited to see some of the things in person that they have learned about from school and books they have read.
 Me and my beautiful girls in front of some planes. It is amazing to see the size of these planes and the fact that they are in a museum, hanging in a museum no less.
 Kaylee and Campbell putting their finger on the top of the Washington Monument.
 Then we moved on to the Natural History Museum. I have never seen so many animals in one place in my life even if they were not alive. The creatures our Lord made still amaze me.
 Kaylee pretending to be scared by the big bear.
 The American Museum of History came next. This one is one of my favorites because a lot of the items I grew up watching, hearing about, and/or reading about. I love seeing Dorothy's slippers that Campbell is standing with in this picture. They also had added Gabby Douglas' items from the olympics and the dresses inaugural of the First Ladies since the last time I was there. The only bad thing about the museums is that they are all so large that you cannot possibly see all you want to see in a day. I wish we had a day for each museum but because of all the things on our lists we just tried to hit the highlights.
 That evening we went to eat at the Old Ebbitt Grill and then walked over to The White House. I loved getting to watch our daughters' faces when they saw where the President lives. The only way it could have been better is if George W. Bush was still in office. What a great way to end the first day in Washington, DC.

No comments: