Image Map

December 24, 2005

Christmas Memories

I have so many wonderful Christmas memories so I thought I would list a few:

1. Making cookies and any other kind of tasty treat with my Nannie...she always encouraged me to taste as we went along:)
2. Looking at neighborhoods full of Christmas lights with my parents and grandparents too sometimes, while listening to Christmas music.
3. Appple cider brewing on the stove.
4. Waking up Christmas morning and opening the treats in my stocking while we waited for my grandparents to arrive for the Santa gift opening. ( They lived in the same town till I was in sixth grade so this was a very special treat for me.)
5. The big Bogart the Basset hound stuffed dog I got one Christmas.
6. My Mom (aka Santa's helper) shopping till she dropped looking for all of the things on my list. (Yes, I was spoiled.)
7. The Christmas my Dad drove a few hours from where we lived to wait in line before the store opened to get me just the right Cabbage Patch doll I had my eyes on. (Thanks again Dad.)
8. The singing Santa on Nannie and PaPaw's back door which sang when you pushed its red nose. ( Nannie and I loved it but I think it annoyed everyone else.)
9. The house covered in decorations and holiday magic.
10. Walking in the door and hearing Nannie whistling to the Christmas music on the radio or the old record player.
11. My Mom always wanting to make everything perfect...her divinity candy is the BEST!
12. The years of pictures with Santa as Mom and Dad looked on with smiles on their faces.
13. My Dad getting the presents down from the attic and me pretending not to hear in my bed.
14. Seeing just how early I could get away with waking my parents up on Christmas morning.
15. Christmas Eve with all my relatives, catching up on the many activities of the year.
16. The love of our family.
17. Christmas carols on the radio all day.
18. Making my list for Santa along with cookies and milk.

I am sure there are many more memories but those are definitely the tops from my childhood. Who knew (besides our parents) how much better Christmas would be when you have children to spoil? The looks on their faces Christmas morning are priceless. I am having so much fun this year with Kaylee since she is old enough to understand what is going on and wants to immerse herself in everything Christmas related. It is definitely more fun through the eyes of a child whether it is yours or someone else's. May you all have a very Merry Christmas!!

2 comments:

mcjacobsjournal said...

Erica,
I'm so glad to see some new blogs from you...I've been missing you so much, so it's great to "hear your voice" through blogs. I hope it's going well in Abilene. I have been thinking of y'all so much!!!

Keep us updated through the blogging!!
Love you!

Alyssa said...

I love that we all have a Cabbage Patch Kid Christmas story! What a fun memory from our generation :)

I miss you so much- hope you guys had a great Christmas!