Image Map

January 22, 2007

What was that???

I was flipping through the channels tonight and stumbled upon this new show from MTV,
  • engaged & underage.
  • The title is just what it sounds like. I could not believe they were promoting this as a reality. I sat and watched with shock and horror at the thought of the two immature kids they featured getting married. Let's just say since I am a Mother to two girls it scared me to death on many levels. (Before anyone blasts me too much I realize that some young marriages work, but they are in the minority and usually Christian based.) The two children (they were 18 years old) were planning a wedding during the show and got married at the end. Of course, they showed the girl trying on her wedding dress, having a bridal shower, and mainly just having a lot of fun. Her older brother told her he thought she was too young but the mother of the bride never said a word! Are you kidding me!! How do you support yourselves at that age? Well, they were living in a guest house on his parent's property...basically out the back door. The show ended with mother-in law calling early in the morning to see if they wanted to come up to the house for dinner that night. Wonder what their lives will be like?

    A few of the thoughts I had while watching:

    * What if I had married the guy I was dating and thought I was in love with at eighteen? We would definitely not have made it. This was one of the scarier thoughts.

    * Will they do a follow up show in a few years?

    * How long could we really forbid our girls from dating?

    * How many high school girls are going to watch this and think...how romantic, I have to get married before I am twenty or half my life is gone, what more could be out there when he is so wonderful and here now?

    * Could they not have shown the reality before they got to this point?

    * Just another reason my parents did not want me to watch MTV growing up and my daughters will not be allowed to either.

    * Will they just let anything on TV these days?

    * What happened to shows like...I Love Lucy, The Brady Bunch, Little House on the Prairie, Father Knows Best, Andy Griffith, and the Disney movie of the week being shown on prime time television?

    * I definitely need to pray more for my girls to be protected from all the things they will encounter and be exposed to on a daily basis as they grow up.

    Now I am going to try to sleep without all these scary thoughts going through my head. I think I will say a prayer for this young couple from the show too while I am at it.

    7 comments:

    Nicole said...

    Well...I married Glen while he was 18. I was 21. I know people doubted us beyond words. I think maturity has a LOT to do with it though. Glen was WAY mature for his age and I was just average. (Who am I kidding, I'm not even mature NOW!!) I have often though about what I would say to my girls if they ever came to me and said at 18 they wanted to get married. I hope they don't. REALLY hope they don't. BUT if they do, I would be a hypocrit to write them off completely.

    Shows like that are made for ratings though. Ya know? I am kind of sad that I missed it. You know how I love reality tv. :)

    BTW - We NEVER lived with Glen's parents OR mine. We are not the majority though. FOR SURE!!

    See ya tomorrow! Great post!!

    Jacinda said...

    MTV is just crazy sometimes. I find myself almost unable to pass by those kinds of shows...one reason we don't have MTV. We recently got satellite again but opted for a family package that doesn't have MTV & VH1 and those types of channels. I'm not saying anyone else is bad for having them but for ME, I know one of my weaknesses is watching things I shouldn't watch if they're available.

    BTW...we do get the Hallmark channel and watch A LOT of Little House! :-)

    Having 2 girls I know what you mean about worrying. I KNOW having a good relationship with their Christian Daddy is going to go a long way in molding them & their dating habits. I know you have a good husband who is a wonderful Daddy to your girls too!!!!

    PRAYER is definitely a must in raising children! It's soooo hard!

    Amy said...

    I'm a lurker!! I actually think I may have had a few classes with you at ACU. I'm a good friend of Shelley Hale. Anyway, great blog. I will say, however, that Jason and I were married at 19. He is now a self-employed, successful CPA, we have four children, a wonderful, happy marriage, and NEVER lived with out parents. We supported ourselves COMPLETELY, (and are now paying off that debt)and I am now able to stay at home with our children. Your blog did NOT offend me at all, but I do want to say that there really are young people that truely are in love. I'm glad we were married early. Our oldest is 8 and we will be young when the empty nest sets in. I think the show is stupid though. Our marriage is probley an exception. It would make we nervous if my kids wanted to get married at 18.
    That's what prayer is all about!! Thanks for the thoughts!

    Erica said...

    Nicole- You are too funny! I did not take any of your comments the wrong way:) I am glad that you are an example for me in case my girls ever come to me at 18 and want to get married.

    Jacinda- I believe a father's role is extremely important. My girls are blessed with a wonderful father. The girl on the show did not even speak to her father, which I thought was sad.

    Amy- Glad you are a lurker and that I did not offend:) It is good to hear that the Lord has blessed you with a wonderful husband and precious children. Keep lurking.

    Lisa Renee said...

    Wow. I am not to say if it is possible or not but I don't think its a good idea regardless for many many reasons. I am SO against reality shows these days. I know cases where it has worked and cases where it hasn't but what is the rush really?? Living where we do now,the majority of women marry young and have children young. We go to a class where most of the people are AT LEAST five years younger than me and have multiple children. The class our age had multiple children when we moved here and we were just starting. All that to say........I guess it just depends on where you are. THANK GOD I did not marry the guy I was dating then. If you remember me from my freshman year you understand why. I need to be praying more about my children's future in that way too. Great post.

    Anonymous said...

    Ok...I HAD to get home & read this post after our discussion today! ha!

    I first off have to admit...I was 18 when Kirk & I got married. He is 10 years older than me, so not so early for him. I, too, have to agree with Nicole. Maturity plays a HUGE part. I was very mature for an 18 year old. Some things that took place when I was a kid made me grow up at an earlier age than most. Kirk was like my saving grace...literally. Meeting him was a gift straight from God. I never look back & regret getting married that young.

    BUT! Having said that...I agree with you on all that you said! MOST 18 year olds are NOT ready for marriage...and most do not survive..sadly! The fun wears off after a couple of years (if even that long)...and the marriages fall apart. Divorce just isn't the bad thing that it used to be.

    I, too, DREAD the day dating starts becoming reality for my children. Lord help me on the night of either of their first dates. Padded room here I come! ha!

    AbbieCRAZY said...

    Okay, well, I'm appalled that this show would even be on the air! Typically, it glorifies the wedding day and not the marriage. The wedding day can be wonderful but it's over in a few hours! I would hope most people plan to be married longer than that!

    To me, that's the problem. Not the age (which freaks me out) but the idea that it's just a big party, to celebrate me, and my parents won't worry about us sleeping together anymore! When we want to date someone else, we'll just divorce. Isn't that what everyone does?

    MTV, hate it.