Image Map

June 5, 2009

A New Tradition

Well I decided since Kaylee is 7 years old and Campbell is almost four years old this would be a great summer to start cooking a whole meal together. In anticipation of this fun new tradition I bought the Southern Living kids cookbook at one of my favorite places, Sam's. Kaylee also made a fun cookbook in kindergarten so between the two we should be able to come up with a meal once a week for the whole summer. The girls are going to help me by planning the menu, writing down the ingredients we need (with my help), going to the store to purchase what we need for the meal, preparing the meal, and finally serving their delicious creation. Since my daughters have been known to argue from time to time, I decided they would take turns picking out the entree and dessert so we do not have to totally agree thus no arguing. Today it worked like a charm!
Campbell chose the entree today which ended up being Tuna Fish in-a-Fish. I think that she just liked the shape of it. It tasted pretty good. I am sure it will not be featured on the Food Network anytime soon but the four of us ate it and enjoyed it. I would give it a three star rating.



For dessert Kaylee picked out of her kindergarten cookbook and chose Dinosaurs in the Dirt. However, since the grocery store we went to had no gummy dinosaurs we had to go with the old standby...gummy worms. I would say that it would also get about three stars.

All in all it was really fun for the girls and I to cook together and for them to see all the steps that go into getting a meal on the table each night. I am already looking forward to next week and I think they are too.  

4 comments:

elizabeth said...

What a great idea! Mary Beth loves to help me in the kitchen, but maybe this summer, I will also get the boys involved. What a fun meal you made!

Traci said...

That is so neat!! I love that you came up with this tradition for your sweet and helpful girls. I'm not gonna lie to you, tho, that fish,,,,nu-uh. Are you sure it was worth 3 stars? lol

Tell the girls that the meal looks super great!! Also, thanks for the sweet words! :)
Love you!

Alyssa said...

What a great idea! I think that would be so fun to do with my girls. (I might give Camryn one more year :) Thanks for sharing!

Summer said...

What a cool mom you are! Sounds like a fun summer with the girls. I might try to do that with Ava sometime!