Tonight our Children's Ministry team arranged for our children to walk down to one of the retirement homes and sing Christmas carols to the residents. Since Kaylee's piano teacher, Julie, is on this team she arranged for her piano students to perform a little pre-show music while the rest of the group walked down from the church. Kaylee chose "Away in a Manger" and "Silent Night" for her mini performance. I was so proud of her and the way she played for those gathered.While waiting for our friends to arrive from church those of us already there went into the meeting room and sang a few songs for the sweet residents. I have to say after a few songs with about 15 of us, I was very excited to see our amazing children's minister walk through the door with the calvary to help us sing. Once all the children were situated they sang their hearts out. The smiles and cheers from the audience were so genuine and filled with gratitude. At the end of the performance all the children got to pass out gifts, give hugs, and tell them Merry Christmas individually. Some of the sweet ladies gathered were smiling through tears. I felt so blessed to be able to be there and watch my girls introduce themselves and give the biggest hugs they could to all those gathered. As I walked away I felt I had been given so much more than we had given them. Tonight was truly priceless and I cannot wait to do a service project there again.

In the end I think it touched me so much because it reminded me of my Nannie. When I was the ages of both my girls I remember going to the nursing homes in town with my Nannie. She would always take the time to sit and listen to them, give a hug, and ask if there was anything they needed her to bring them. It was not unusual for her to return the next time with fuzzy socks for their feet, lotion, slippers, or a variety of other special treats. Most of all she gave of herself, her time, and her heart. She taught me so much on those visits and I want to pass that on to my children.
Thank you to the sweet men and women of Covenant Place for letting us entertain you tonight and teaching us so much in the process.
No comments:
Post a Comment